Dragon Ball Competitive
Welcome to Dragon Ball Competitive, your source for your DBZ metagaming!

You are currently not logged in to the forums. To post on the forums, you must login to an existing account. If you have not registered an account yet, please do so. It's very simple and only takes a few minutes!

Enjoy your stay!

Krillin

Go down

Krillin Empty Krillin

Post by autobzooty on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:00 pm

No love for KURIRIN!? I'm experimenting with him a bit, trying to find what works and what doesn't. His main problem seems to be how slow his starters are, giving him generally low priority. But he does have some interesting things that help him get an opening to start combos with passable damage.

Pros
-He's short, so certain stuff whiffs on him (for instance, I think one of the hits in Goku's famous KKKK combo doesn't hit him. not sure if it gives you an opportunity to block/counter, though)
-Can transform at the start of the match with only 3 bars, which is helpful for breaking out of block strings and creating openings to combo with
-Solar Flare is deceptively useful. If you have good reflexes, you can turn small errors in your opponent's game into extremely costly mistakes
-Good damage/cost ratio on his ultimate. It's relatively cheap, and not a bad choice if your opponent is fatigued with more than 3 bars of ki

Cons
-Slow starters, giving him low priority
-Not a lot of options against an opponent who likes to just hold the block button
-So-so damage output

Cancels
>PPPK-
>PPK- This one is kind of negated by the previous one, but it's nice to have around in case you mess up your execution.
KKKK- This will be your bread and butter starter since Krillin's K is MUCH faster than his >P, which is quite slow. Always start with this cancel, or a stun (see below).
<KKK- This cancel actually starts a juggle, so make sure it's the last cancel you plan on using in your combo. It won't work at all in the air unless you've used KKKK- beforehand, so be careful of that. And on the ground, certain moves are difficult to chain together after you start the juggle. PPPPP tends to whiff on the ground.

Stuns
KPK*

This stun is interesting. It doesn't actually combo, so if your opponent is holding the block button, the last kick won't connect. However, the last kick has invincibility frames on it, so if they try to counter you while you use it, they'll eat a phat stun. And since it doesn't actually combo, you can use Krillin's KKKK- cancel after this without starting a juggle. If you find your opponent blocking, you can follow this stun up with another charged K, just to keep yourself safe. Or cancel that charge into a throw, if you wanna be tricky. As far as I know, this wonky stun is all Krillin has. I'm still testing things out with him, but lots of his combos don't actually combo. It's very weird.

Death Moves
Kamehameha: Yeah, it's a Kamehameha. Not much to say. It's a 1 bar move that does about as much damage as a kamehameha should do. I recommend Distructo Disc over it, personally, but if you find that you don't have much ki to spare when you're playing with Krillin, Kamehameha is a fine choice.

Destructo Disc: A 2 bar projectile move that deals a pretty decent chunk of damage. Finish your combos with this bad boy and you can do around 1k of damage altogether. You're not gonna be dishing out much pain without it, so make sure you incorporate it into your combos.

Solar Flare: This is the money move, right here. For the paltry price of one bar, you can stop your opponent dead in his tracks. It doesn't work if they're blocking, but if you catch them throwing out naked death moves, charging up an unblockable in their combo, launching an ultimate, or just not paying much attention in general, Solar Flare will give 'em the business. Don't use Krillin with just Kamehameha and Distructo Disc! One of your slots should have this move!

Ultimate Move
Chain Destructo Disc: It's not an incredible Ultimate by any means, but it only costs 4 bars, which is Krillin's base ki after he transforms, so you'll have lots of opportunities to use it. It does 945 base damage if offense wins the struggle, and something like 600 if defense wins. The startup for this move is considerable, so make sure your execution is spot on if you're going to cancel into it. Otherwise it's a great choice to hit your opponent with if they're fatigued with more than three bars of ki. You can do almost 1k of damage and they won't have the opportunity to afterimage behind you and make you look stupid.

Heavy Slam
It's not the fastest HS in the world, but it's got a pretty good range on it. When you charge it, Krillin actually holds back a little bit, and doesn't move forward into harm's way until you release the charge. So with good control, you can take advantage of that and create an opening for yourself. However, the weird motion of this HS can cause messed up things to happen in situations that seem normal. Like you'll whiff and end up on the other side of your opponent for some reason. It's pretty disorienting.

Overall, Krillin has to play defensive for much of the match, but he can hold his own if you create openings for him. As long as you don't get over eager to attack with him, his combos do enough damage to win the match for him, when used correctly. You just gotta have the patience to not go crazy until there's an opening to do so.

Last edited by autobzooty on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
autobzooty
autobzooty
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

Battle Power : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Krillin Empty Re: Krillin

Post by AquaTeamV3 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Krillin's <KKK- is another nice starter that can be reset after using his KKKK-. The sole reason I don't like Destructo Disk is that it can't stun on it's own. The damage wasn't too much better than Kamehama IIRC, either.
AquaTeamV3
AquaTeamV3
Saiyan Soldier
Saiyan Soldier

Battle Power : 80
Zodiac Signs : Scorpio Horse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by autobzooty on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:29 pm

But <KKK- starts a juggle? I was trying to find some way to make something happen with it, but pretty much the only thing you can do after that cancel is PPK into a deathmove. Krillin's normal PPPPP string whiffs on the third hit after you juggle them with <KKK-.

Plus if you're not on the ground, it's almost impossible to do anything with that combo since they'll hit the "ground" much faster when you're fighting in the air.

Edit: Wait, nevermind, I just tried it. You're right, it does work quite well if you use KKKK- beforehand, even in the air. I'll add it to the OP, and thanks for the tip! That's gonna be really helpful.
autobzooty
autobzooty
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollCapAmerica on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 pm

A couple little things to add on

Krillians ultimate actually has bad damage for its cost.Struggle ultimates usually do 900-1500 for 4 bars and 12-1900 for 5.The average damage per bar for that move is around 200 which is less than Kamehameha and Destructo Disc

The choice between DD and Kamehameha is interesting and similar to Kid Buus choice between Kamehameha and VB.Do you the slightly better cost/damage ration move that can cause fatigue but has shitastic recovery or the half lifebar move with better speed that cant cause full fatigue?With Krillian it s a little harder choice since his baseline is lower and the cost of SF and DD will add up but those guaranteed chances to punish are hard to pass up

Krillians >P starter speed is like Bardoks.Its not actually too bad it might be just a tad slower than you might like.It really shouldnt be a big deal except against top 10 or better characters
TrollCapAmerica
TrollCapAmerica
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Battle Power : 372
Zodiac Signs : Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by autobzooty on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Honestly, Krillin has to work so hard for damage that I don't see any contest for Kamehameha vs. Destructo Disc. He needs all the help he can get for his power output and he's got enough tools at his disposal that he can get in to land one more hit for the fatigue without too much trouble.

charging the last hit on his KKKK or <KKK combo is actually really effective against blocking opponents I'm finding. It makes his hit box so small that he's incredible safe against counters and even grabs. It's a great way to deal the last hit for fatigue that his destructo disc couldn't cause. Not to mention good footsies with his heavy slam can be brutal.

by the way, does DD cause more fatigue than kamehameha? it seems like it shoots that meter up really far, even if it won't finish the job.
autobzooty
autobzooty
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollCapAmerica on Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:37 am

autobzooty wrote:Honestly, Krillin has to work so hard for damage that I don't see any contest for Kamehameha vs. Destructo Disc. He needs all the help he can get for his power output and he's got enough tools at his disposal that he can get in to land one more hit for the fatigue without too much trouble.

charging the last hit on his KKKK or <KKK combo is actually really effective against blocking opponents I'm finding. It makes his hit box so small that he's incredible safe against counters and even grabs. It's a great way to deal the last hit for fatigue that his destructo disc couldn't cause. Not to mention good footsies with his heavy slam can be brutal.

by the way, does DD cause more fatigue than kamehameha? it seems like it shoots that meter up really far, even if it won't finish the job.

While I generally agree he need sthe extra damage also remember that he has a low baseline and somewhat slow RD so he can run into Ki problems especially with SF+DD combos

as for Fatigue remember that its tied to damage and fatigue occurs at 2000. not counter TC based fatigue.525 damage is about 1/4th of the fatigue bar
TrollCapAmerica
TrollCapAmerica
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlordtico on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Cancels:

fPPK-
fPPPK-
bPPP- [ground resets]
KPP- [back only]
KPPP- [back only]
KPKK- [back only]
KKKK- [ground resets]
fKKP-
fKKPP-
bKKP-
bKKK-

Stuns:

KPP* [back only]
KPK* [back only]
bK*

Infinites/Juggles:

PPPP- [infinite low juggle]
bPPP- [infinite fast cancel]
bKKK- [infinite]

Krillin Combo In This Video

Will update when I turn the game on again lol, can't remember all off the top of my head.

Last edited by Overlordtico on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Overlordtico
Overlordtico
Saiyan Veteran
Saiyan Veteran

Battle Power : 170
Zodiac Signs : Scorpio Snake

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/underlordtico

Back to top Go down

Post by Brohan on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Dude...We need to put this stuff on SRK, make a wiki for it, you could do IW, and I could do SBAR.
Brohan
Brohan
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Battle Power : 394
Zodiac Signs : Sagittarius Rat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Goodgamersambo on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:35 pm

EvilBrohan wrote:Dude...We need to put this stuff on SRK, make a wiki for it, you could do IW, and I could do SBAR.

I'm a noob. Whats SRK? Razz
Goodgamersambo
Goodgamersambo
Saiyan Grunt
Saiyan Grunt

Battle Power : 30
Zodiac Signs : Aquarius Rooster

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/goodgamersambo?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by Brohan on Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Shoryuken forums
Brohan
Brohan
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Battle Power : 394
Zodiac Signs : Sagittarius Rat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlordtico on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:20 pm

That sounds like a great idea, get this game out there on the competitive world
Overlordtico
Overlordtico
Saiyan Veteran
Saiyan Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Goodgamersambo on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:09 am

EvilBrohan wrote:Shoryuken forums

Aah. Ok thanks man Very Happy
Goodgamersambo
Goodgamersambo
Saiyan Grunt
Saiyan Grunt

Battle Power : 30
Zodiac Signs : Aquarius Rooster

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/goodgamersambo?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlordtico on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:01 pm

fully updated the combo list
Overlordtico
Overlordtico
Saiyan Veteran
Saiyan Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by CajNatalie on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 am

Destructo Disc only costs one bar in Infinite World, not two.
Chain Destructo Disc does 787-1417. If you pop Krillin's item, it becomes 945-1701... nobody but me seems to like using the 'personal' items (they're like the abilities in SB2 AR - they add a tiny bit more depth), but oh well.

Also, something about the bKKK- juggle/cancel.
Its usefulness on the ground diminishes as your opponent's size diminishes.
Using it on Saibamen requires extremely quick timing to follow up, but following it up on Shenron is easy.

In the air any issues with size seem to be gone... I could connect bKKK- to bPPP- (for example) easily enough regardless of size.
CajNatalie
CajNatalie
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

Battle Power : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollCapAmerica on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 am

Yeah the air is always a mixed bag.Size differences become less of a factor but the way everything moves changes both in juggles and possible elevation differences.I havent tried all of Krillians juggles in there either so I dunno if he gains or loses anything either

For personal items we have generally ignored them because A] Taunt is so important and B] Things like the Buus personal item might be too unbalanced in a goofy sorta way
TrollCapAmerica
TrollCapAmerica
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CajNatalie on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 am

Well, playing without taunt (until you pop an item) could help make things more challenging/interesting for people, and as for the relative overpoweredness of certain items... they'd probably need some agreed rules of when they can be used in pvp.

I tend to have my own personal requirements for when I'm going to pop an item, but sometimes I use them in other circumstances. Maybe as the only player consistently using character-specific items I could help draw out some more concrete rules in the future (once I'm no longer a n00b, lol).

IW's been out for a few years now. Can't always have people playing top-tier versus top-tier and taunting for fatigue loops.
It'd be refreshing to see more use of lower tier characters, and some experimentation with different rules of engagement maybe.
CajNatalie
CajNatalie
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

Battle Power : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: