Dragon Ball Competitive
Welcome to Dragon Ball Competitive, your source for your DBZ metagaming!

You are currently not logged in to the forums. To post on the forums, you must login to an existing account. If you have not registered an account yet, please do so. It's very simple and only takes a few minutes!

Enjoy your stay!

DBZ DUBS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DBZ DUBS

Post by devilmaggot666 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Not sure if this question has already been asked but oh well.
Which DBZ Dub do you like the best? Do you like Ocean, Funi, or the Original Japanese voices best and why?
avatar
devilmaggot666
Saiyan Warrior
Saiyan Warrior

Gender : Male
Posts : 100
Battle Power : 124
Join date : 2009-12-22
Location : US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Bond on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Funi because its better than the Ocean dub and I prefer English.
avatar
Bond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 265
Battle Power : 289
Join date : 2009-10-15
Location : Australia
Zodiac Signs : Aquarius Snake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Thalès76 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:35 am

Personal preference

Japanese > French > English

Both French and English dub have problems because one voice actor plays over 10 characters and they sound relatively the same. In Japanese you have one voice actor per character except for the Son family.


Last edited by Thalès76 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 329
Battle Power : 310
Join date : 2009-09-17
Location : Quebec city
Zodiac Signs : Taurus Snake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Bond on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:09 am

Thalès76 wrote:Personal preference

Japanese < French < English

Both French and English dub have problems because one voice actor plays over 10 characters and they sound relatively the same. In Japanese you have one voice actor per character except for the Son family.

So what? Dan Castellaneta voices at least 10 recurring characters on The Simpsons and not one of them sound alike. I don't think any characters stand out in DBZ as sounding the same...I mean some sound similar but not even close to being the same. Good voice actors can voice as many characters as they please and create a voice for each one. Sabat does this in DBZ and he is a great VA. That's part of their job, to create voices for different characters.
avatar
Bond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 265
Battle Power : 289
Join date : 2009-10-15
Location : Australia
Zodiac Signs : Aquarius Snake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Thalès76 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:20 am

Yamcha sounds exactly like Jeice except for the accent.
They all sound very similar, that's what I don't like, Piccolo and Vegeta is another exemple.
avatar
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 329
Battle Power : 310
Join date : 2009-09-17
Location : Quebec city
Zodiac Signs : Taurus Snake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by TrollCapAmerica on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:14 am

Seriously whatshisname doesnt even try and do a different voice for Piccalo Super Buu Vegeta etc

This also doesnt even bring up the retarded dialogue as they scramble to match mouthflaps or the retarded random dialogue changes

This si also before you get into guys like Gokus VA that have all the emotional impact of a summer breeze or the kid characters all sounding like chain smoking gremlins talking through rusty subway speakers.I mean serriously what the FUCK is Kid Gohan supposed to sound like?Im always waiting for kid Gohan and Goku to go "GIZMO CAKA RRWWAAHAHH' before Frieza tosses them in a microwave
avatar
TrollCapAmerica
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Posts : 352
Battle Power : 372
Join date : 2009-09-15
Zodiac Signs : Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Bond on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:53 pm

TrollCapAmerica wrote:Seriously whatshisname doesnt even try and do a different voice for Piccalo Super Buu Vegeta etc

This also doesnt even bring up the retarded dialogue as they scramble to match mouthflaps or the retarded random dialogue changes

This si also before you get into guys like Gokus VA that have all the emotional impact of a summer breeze or the kid characters all sounding like chain smoking gremlins talking through rusty subway speakers.I mean serriously what the FUCK is Kid Gohan supposed to sound like?Im always waiting for kid Gohan and Goku to go "GIZMO CAKA RRWWAAHAHH' before Frieza tosses them in a microwave

What do you mean? Are you saying Super Buu, Vegeta and Piccolo all sound the same? They don't. They all have distinctly different voices. If I heard their voices with no visual, I could easily determine which voice belongs to which character. Saying Jeice sounds like Yamcha EXCEPT for his accent is an oxymoron.

Judging a voice performance on 'How different each character sounds from one another' is one of the dumbest ways to rate it. These people are actors. When a voice actor voices a character he goes by what the character looks like, what their personality is etc, it's not 'oh I have to make this character sound different from that other one.'
avatar
Bond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 265
Battle Power : 289
Join date : 2009-10-15
Location : Australia
Zodiac Signs : Aquarius Snake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Thalès76 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:02 am

TrollCapAmerica wrote: When a voice actor voices a character he goes by what the character looks like, what their personality is etc, it's not 'oh I have to make this character sound different from that other one.'

Yes and that's exactly where Funi fails, Vegeta is supposed to sound like a proud prince not a crackhead, see Vegeta laughing when he thought he destroyed Cell with the Final Flash.
avatar
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 329
Battle Power : 310
Join date : 2009-09-17
Location : Quebec city
Zodiac Signs : Taurus Snake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Heromaster111 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 am

Did Cap and Bond trade places?

_________________
Asuka Langley Soryu-God's gift to anime and quite possibly.....the world
avatar
Heromaster111
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Gender : Male
Posts : 241
Battle Power : 231
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : Sylacauga, AL don't worry I know it sucks
Zodiac Signs : Virgo Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Soriphen on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Funi cause I love my Sean and Chris Very Happy. Btw Thales, you got the order of the "greater than" and "less than" signs wrong ;P. BWAHAHAHA!

_________________
Hey!
avatar
Soriphen
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Gender : Male
Posts : 616
Battle Power : 574
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada
Zodiac Signs : Leo Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by TrollCapAmerica on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 pm

Bond wrote:
TrollCapAmerica wrote:Seriously whatshisname doesnt even try and do a different voice for Piccalo Super Buu Vegeta etc

This also doesnt even bring up the retarded dialogue as they scramble to match mouthflaps or the retarded random dialogue changes

This si also before you get into guys like Gokus VA that have all the emotional impact of a summer breeze or the kid characters all sounding like chain smoking gremlins talking through rusty subway speakers.I mean serriously what the FUCK is Kid Gohan supposed to sound like?Im always waiting for kid Gohan and Goku to go "GIZMO CAKA RRWWAAHAHH' before Frieza tosses them in a microwave

What do you mean? Are you saying Super Buu, Vegeta and Piccolo all sound the same? They don't. They all have distinctly different voices. If I heard their voices with no visual, I could easily determine which voice belongs to which character. Saying Jeice sounds like Yamcha EXCEPT for his accent is an oxymoron.

Judging a voice performance on 'How different each character sounds from one another' is one of the dumbest ways to rate it. These people are actors. When a voice actor voices a character he goes by what the character looks like, what their personality is etc, it's not 'oh I have to make this character sound different from that other one.'

Its the same gravely voice by the same VA.He does the same thing in a different pitch for each of them.Its just some guy talking like hes gargling gravel and sounding more like Gargamel than Vegeta
avatar
TrollCapAmerica
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Posts : 352
Battle Power : 372
Join date : 2009-09-15
Zodiac Signs : Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Soriphen on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:11 pm

He does sound sexi though Wink.

_________________
Hey!
avatar
Soriphen
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Gender : Male
Posts : 616
Battle Power : 574
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada
Zodiac Signs : Leo Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by 1SSJ4Gogeta1 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Japanese dub sux monkey ballz. Everyother dub that is not Funi sux elephant ballz. However, Ocean was good up to the Frieza saga. After that Ocean also sucked. Funi is the only good dub out there
avatar
1SSJ4Gogeta1
Saiyan Soldier
Saiyan Soldier

Gender : Male
Posts : 79
Battle Power : 78
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by TrollCapAmerica on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:42 pm

1SSJ4Gogeta1 wrote:Japanese dub sux monkey ballz. Everyother dub that is not Funi sux elephant ballz. However, Ocean was good up to the Frieza saga. After that Ocean also sucked. Funi is the only good dub out there

Allow me to counter with

'MMMEEEE EAAAATTTTT YUUOOOUUU UUUUPPP

BUU SCREAM RETARD ELMO.ME GET UNINTELLIGABLEYAHABGHSSATEA5TRLGARRGH
avatar
TrollCapAmerica
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Posts : 352
Battle Power : 372
Join date : 2009-09-15
Zodiac Signs : Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by GVgogeta102 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 pm

TrollCapAmerica wrote:
1SSJ4Gogeta1 wrote:Japanese dub sux monkey ballz. Everyother dub that is not Funi sux elephant ballz. However, Ocean was good up to the Frieza saga. After that Ocean also sucked. Funi is the only good dub out there

Allow me to counter with

'MMMEEEE EAAAATTTTT YUUOOOUUU UUUUPPP

BUU SCREAM RETARD ELMO.ME GET UNINTELLIGABLEYAHABGHSSATEA5TRLGARRGH

wut?
avatar
GVgogeta102
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 165
Battle Power : 140
Join date : 2009-11-11
Location : up ur @$$
Zodiac Signs : Capricorn Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by KingDiamond on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:45 pm

Seriously Jap all the way. The voices represent what Akira wanted them to sound like so thats what they should sound like.
avatar
KingDiamond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 313
Battle Power : 250
Join date : 2009-12-16
Location : Bishop CA
Zodiac Signs : Scorpio Pig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by MysticFog on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 am

american dubs are usually horrible...for most stuff...there are some exceptions..

funimation not being one of them :/

_________________
Death to the Overrated
avatar
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Gender : Male
Posts : 248
Battle Power : 299
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Michigan...
Zodiac Signs : Gemini Tiger

View user profile http://www.gamefaqs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Thalès76 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 am

TrollCapAmerica wrote:
1SSJ4Gogeta1 wrote:Japanese dub sux monkey ballz. Everyother dub that is not Funi sux elephant ballz. However, Ocean was good up to the Frieza saga. After that Ocean also sucked. Funi is the only good dub out there

Allow me to counter with

'MMMEEEE EAAAATTTTT YUUOOOUUU UUUUPPP

BUU SCREAM RETARD ELMO.ME GET UNINTELLIGABLEYAHABGHSSATEA5TRLGARRGH

LOL
avatar
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Gender : Male
Posts : 329
Battle Power : 310
Join date : 2009-09-17
Location : Quebec city
Zodiac Signs : Taurus Snake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by SoraOwnKeyblade on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:49 am

I don't really like anv of DBZ's dubs at the moment. I dislike the Japanese version for the over the top, melodramatic line deliveries and some voices just sound really obnoxious. Then there's the English versions, FUNi was just fresh meat when Dragon Ball Z was dubbed, it was only up until LATE DB(during the 22nd Budokai arc) did they start to get good at what they were doing. The result of their lack of experience at the time in acting, translating and so forth was just lousy.

With that all said, I am looking forward to FUNi's redub for DBKai. Ever since their fuck ups with DBZ, every other dub they've done turned out rather outstanding and well done as they got more better in their work(such as Yu Yu Hakusho's dub, when they saved One Piece with their redub after 4kids almost killed it with their shit dubbing work, FMA, etc.).

Hell, apparently Daizex which is the most hardcore "original version" fansite/forum is actually looking forward to it after the positive reaction from the first few episodes that aired at a recent convention. Now that's saying something, FUCKING DAIZEX HAVING HIGH HOPES FOR A DUB OF DRAGON BALL. It's already shocking how they're using the original names(most of them at least) for some attacks that were poorly translated(such as Special Beam Cannon).
avatar
SoraOwnKeyblade
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

Gender : Male
Posts : 10
Battle Power : 7
Join date : 2010-02-03
Zodiac Signs : Aquarius Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DBZ DUBS

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum