Dragon Ball Competitive
Welcome to Dragon Ball Competitive, your source for your DBZ metagaming!

You are currently not logged in to the forums. To post on the forums, you must login to an existing account. If you have not registered an account yet, please do so. It's very simple and only takes a few minutes!

Enjoy your stay!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Dragon Ball Competitive
Welcome to Dragon Ball Competitive, your source for your DBZ metagaming!

You are currently not logged in to the forums. To post on the forums, you must login to an existing account. If you have not registered an account yet, please do so. It's very simple and only takes a few minutes!

Enjoy your stay!
Dragon Ball Competitive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

to Dub or Not to Dub?

+6
TS Aneila
Thalès76
TrollCapAmerica
Heromaster111
Soriphen
MysticFog
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

to Dub or Not to Dub? Empty to Dub or Not to Dub?

Post by MysticFog Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:32 am

hmm people seem to have alot of diff preferences here.

I prefer subtitled with japanese voices because thats how i usually hear the shows for the first time

there are exceptions with english voice dubbing though..

I tend to hate alot of Funimation stuff :/
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Battle Power : 299
Zodiac Signs : Gemini Tiger

http://www.gamefaqs.com

Back to top Go down

to Dub or Not to Dub? Empty Re: to Dub or Not to Dub?

Post by Soriphen Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:12 pm

For DBZ, I grew up loving Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel. Usually, I like subtitled work with Japanese voices.
Soriphen
Soriphen
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Battle Power : 574
Zodiac Signs : Leo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Heromaster111 Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:08 pm

it has to be ATROCIOUSLY bad for me to prefer subtitles, i.e. Castle in the Sky(tho this has some strong points), not to say I can't/don't watch subs, just like dubs usually, although I prefer Eva's sub more but the dub is very watchable.

And Fog Funi dubs are generally good. Laura Bailey FTMFW, I officially start the call for Ms. Bailey for Asuka in Eva 2.0 make it happen Funi, please don't let Tiffany Grant reprise her role of her. PLEASE
Heromaster111
Heromaster111
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Battle Power : 231
Zodiac Signs : Virgo Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by MysticFog Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 pm

well there are some animes i like alot better in english..like cowboy bebop..black lagoon(i like both). gundam..etc..
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollCapAmerica Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:22 am

Until you have heard the brainddead emotionless cast of the Slayers dub butcher a funny scene where Gourry looks up a dragongirls dress you can understand the hatred people that watched anime outside of cartoon network have for dubs

Even farther back we have things like "Lets go Gun-DAMN"
TrollCapAmerica
TrollCapAmerica
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Battle Power : 372
Zodiac Signs : Libra Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thalès76 Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:25 am

I never watch dub anime, though I only watched 3 anime completly, DBZ, Death note and Street Fighter, it's all much better in japanese. I simply can't stand the english dub, it's basically meant to be watched in japanese imo.

And Funimation, it's a complete joke, they changed the script in a bad way, making Goku look like superman in the super saiyan speech. Then you have C.Sabat who plays at least 15 characters which is stupid imo because they sound relatively the same, like Piccolo and Vegeta, Jeice and Yamcha.
Thalès76
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Battle Power : 310
Zodiac Signs : Taurus Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by MysticFog Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:19 pm

Thalès76 wrote:I never watch dub anime, though I only watched 3 anime completly, DBZ, Death note and Street Fighter, it's all much better in japanese. I simply can't stand the english dub, it's basically meant to be watched in japanese imo.

And Funimation, it's a complete joke, they changed the script in a bad way, making Goku look like superman in the super saiyan speech. Then you have C.Sabat who plays at least 15 characters which is stupid imo because they sound relatively the same, like Piccolo and Vegeta, Jeice and Yamcha.

amen...
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Heromaster111 Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:11 am

Cap I agree that Slayers dub is meh but dubs have come a long way since then.

And DBZ dub wasn't that bad, i admit the script was changed was bad, but then the manga is the only true source of canon, anyway be it dubbed or subbed, no one is gonna use the show as tryin to prove a point, so it's kind of a moot point.
Heromaster111
Heromaster111
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MysticFog Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:18 am

Heromaster111 wrote:And DBZ dub wasn't that bad, i admit the script was changed was bad, but then the manga is the only true source of canon, anyway be it dubbed or subbed, no one is gonna use the show as tryin to prove a point, so it's kind of a moot point.

not really moot in a dub or sub thread pertaining to anime >_>
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Heromaster111 Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:21 pm

MysticFog wrote:not really moot in a dub or sub thread pertaining to anime >_>

I'm not gonna pretend the manga just don't exist just because it's out of the line of the discussion, the only reason I bring up the manga is just to show the fact I could care less bout the changes cause I have the tell all end all source in the manga. The anime is meant for fun and nothing moreso what if Raditz is faster than the speed of light, Goku has a power level over 9000, or that Kid Buu is the strongest Buu, not that big a deal. I could understand this in a show say like Eva or FLCL where character interactions, deeper meanings, and etc are/could be lost if you fuck with a script too much but come on this is DBZ it's all pretty much superficial editing which doesn't bother me. And honestly borders on the line of just bitching or being an elitist.

Really does Raditz being faster than the speed of light, effect his character? All it does is make no sense but then again the ending of DBZ is all just borderline moronic anyway. <_<

And just to get the ball rolling Dub Music>Sub music with a few exceptions of some scenes.

Also the whole Jap Goku is better cause he keeps his innocence shit and what not is JUST as valid as someone who says that Dub Goku, and to a further extent all the Son Family, actually sounds like you know.....his balls have dropped.

Should be noted I forgot a majority of the changes to the English script XD so those examples could be wrong.

EDIT#1024956529-I wrote FAR too much just based on a 12 word rebuttal.
Heromaster111
Heromaster111
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MysticFog Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:07 pm

not askign you to forget the manga exists..im just saying its a thread based off anime dubs or subs not about manga.

i just happen to think most the voices fit the character way better in japanese versions of anime :/..

also..i like most japanese music tracks compared to american tracks. dbz being just one example..i only really like a handful of bruce faulconers music :/..spirit vs spirit and we gotta power are pimp compared to the american versions counterparts.

well...i hope your a big enough fan to know why they had adult gokus voice the same as youngs. but id rather have him sound like that then a retarded circus clown whos always constipated (sean schemmel).
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Heromaster111 Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:19 pm

When someone complains about the script in the dub I think it's fair game to bring the manga into the fray.
Heromaster111
Heromaster111
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MysticFog Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:23 pm

but still...funimation does fuck with the dbz script ALOT..to tone it down for little kids :/
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Heromaster111 Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:37 pm

MysticFog wrote:but still...funimation does fuck with the dbz script ALOT..to tone it down for little kids :/

See you mean that as degrading but then there are shows that are most definitely kids show that people consider "awesome". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gargolyes, Batman:TAS etc. Sorry if I don't see them toning it down as a bad thing, in many ways it is a kid's show <_<
Heromaster111
Heromaster111
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TS Aneila Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Big ol fan of dubs.

Golden boy is the shit in dub, but any comedy based dub is usually better then japanese dub due to the fact I dont speak japanese. ( And japanese GB is bland and lifeless in the VA work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDmWLBmz0yo Shit is lulz, japanese version is horrible and I dont even crack a smile, just facepalm into oblivion D: D:

Fullmetal Panic Fumoffu dub is the shit.

Am a big fan of Funi regardless of what they did to an old show of rip dudes screaming and shooting balls of light.

FMA dub is great, as is Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, list goes on and on~

Can't wait till Casshern sins and Eden of the East come out ( Funi dub, gonna rape, deal with it)

Now tis not to say I dont like japanese, majority of the anime I watch has no dub, or I don't care to check it out. Usually if the VA work is done by Johnny Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal, Laura Bailey, Liam O Brien, Quinton Flynn etc. I will prefer it way over the subs, since they are all A list VA's sonnnnnnnn!!!11

P.S I prefer fighting games in japanese unless I am playing BB and I am Ragna, VA is fucking epic.
TS Aneila
TS Aneila
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Battle Power : 97
Zodiac Signs : Scorpio Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Thalès76 Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Funimation is simply retarded, the worst fuckin dub ever, the French and German dub of DBZ are fine.

The english dub of Street Fighter is even more retarded, and Death Note I don't even want to talk about it.

Seriously in that vid Goku looks like hes having a orgarsm. Fucking retarded voice actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO_olczfpRI&feature=related

End of rant.
Thalès76
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bond Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:22 am

Thalès76 wrote:Funimation is simply retarded, the worst fuckin dub ever, the French and German dub of DBZ are fine.

The english dub of Street Fighter is even more retarded, and Death Note I don't even want to talk about it.

Seriously in that vid Goku looks like hes having a orgarsm. Fucking retarded voice actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO_olczfpRI&feature=related

End of rant.

Keep in mind Schemmel had just taken over Goku voice duties mid-way through the Frieza saga, he has gotten much better since then. He has fleshed out the voice of Goku much more, even comparing his Frieza saga work to Cell saga there is a noticeable difference.

Also blaming solely the actor for what you percieve as a poor performance is a bit narrow minded. What about the voice director who basically explains to the actor their motivation, their emotional state, what's been happening in the story etc.
Bond
Bond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Battle Power : 289
Zodiac Signs : Aquarius Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Thalès76 Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:06 am

Schemmel still fails and Masako Nozawa is 100x better. Do I even need to mention it?
Thalès76
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bond Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:52 am

disagree
Bond
Bond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by MysticFog Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Thalès76 wrote:Schemmel still fails and Masako Nozawa is 100x better. Do I even need to mention it?

agree
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Soriphen Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Bond wrote:disagree

I second that ;P!
Soriphen
Soriphen
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Battle Power : 574
Zodiac Signs : Leo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by THTB Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:26 pm

I disagree on Nozawa > Schemmel.

Goku is no longer a 12-year-old who still hasn't reached puberty come the end of DB and onward. Why should he sound like one still? I do agree, the emotion is better, but it's MORE than just that. Nozawa's voice fits Goku/Gohan/Goten as a kid...it doesn't fit them when they aren't kids anymore.

When it comes to portraying the Son family as kids, I think Nozawa is spot-on. I feel Schemmel/Hebert are better portrayals of the Son family as adults, however.
THTB
THTB
Saiyan Creator
Saiyan Creator

Battle Power : 1029
Zodiac Signs : Gemini Snake

https://dbcompetitive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bond Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:02 am

I grew up watching the Frieza, Cell and Buu sagas on TV and they all had Sean Schemmel as Goku, and Chris Sabat as Vegeta so naturally I will always prefer them, because they ARE Goku and Vegeta for me.

Also, I know my view is bias towards Funimation because I CANNOT STAND the Ocean Dub. But I bet someone who started watching the Ocean dubbed Saiyan saga then Funimation comes along midway through the Frieza saga, they'd be all 'SUP?!'
Bond
Bond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thalès76 Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 am

THTB wrote:I disagree on Nozawa > Schemmel.

Goku is no longer a 12-year-old who still hasn't reached puberty come the end of DB and onward. Why should he sound like one still? I do agree, the emotion is better, but it's MORE than just that. Nozawa's voice fits Goku/Gohan/Goten as a kid...it doesn't fit them when they aren't kids anymore.

When it comes to portraying the Son family as kids, I think Nozawa is spot-on. I feel Schemmel/Hebert are better portrayals of the Son family as adults, however.

Well that's what you think, did you know that it was Toriyama who choosed the voice for adult Goku? Therefore it's the right voice so stop complaining and get used to it.
Thalès76
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Heromaster111 Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:02 am

Yea I like the idea of actually deciding for myself who is right for Goku based on what I've heard, so forgive me if I don't really care what Toriyama thinks is the so called "right" voice.
Heromaster111
Heromaster111
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum