Dragon Ball Competitive
Welcome to Dragon Ball Competitive, your source for your DBZ metagaming!

You are currently not logged in to the forums. To post on the forums, you must login to an existing account. If you have not registered an account yet, please do so. It's very simple and only takes a few minutes!

Enjoy your stay!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Dragon Ball Competitive
Welcome to Dragon Ball Competitive, your source for your DBZ metagaming!

You are currently not logged in to the forums. To post on the forums, you must login to an existing account. If you have not registered an account yet, please do so. It's very simple and only takes a few minutes!

Enjoy your stay!
Dragon Ball Competitive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What killed IW?

+5
TrollCapAmerica
Thalès76
Soriphen
THTB
MysticFog
9 posters

Go down

What killed IW? Empty What killed IW?

Post by MysticFog Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:16 am

hmm..im gonna go out on a limb and say its because lack of online and/or being on ps2.

what do you guys think?
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Battle Power : 299
Zodiac Signs : Gemini Tiger

http://www.gamefaqs.com

Back to top Go down

What killed IW? Empty Re: What killed IW?

Post by THTB Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:24 pm

IW died fast due to a series of chain events.

B3 did get the Budokai engine recognized as far as depth goes, but it still wasn't a very popular game even with Cap's tournaments and Gogeta's vids.

When SB was released, it released on the wrong system (PSP). People weren't willing to go out and spend well over $150 for a handheld to play a DBZ fighter. So the player base began to dwindle. The game did improve on B3, but it was the availability that ruined it.

The release of BL finally gave people a Budokai on console (specifically the current-gen)...but what screwed that game over even more was the faulty online. People dropped it so fast, and with the player base from previous games not as high as before, it just...was not pretty at that point. BL, if you play it on meter management, is a mindfuck of a game really, lol. It wasn't all that bad...just people are foolishly turning to online play for actual competition.

IW comes, and is probably the best of the Budokai games...but it lacked online. Being on PS2 also didn't help. The near-dead community also fucked it over.

Pretty much, IW was killed long before it released. DBZ fighters in general are just about dead...all because of...well...SB lol. The BT games don't help any, being mostly catered to DBZ fans (though BT3 is indeed not a bad game and RB is looking to give something to both DBZ and fighting game fans).
THTB
THTB
Saiyan Creator
Saiyan Creator

Battle Power : 1029
Zodiac Signs : Gemini Snake

https://dbcompetitive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Soriphen Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Whoa, nice explanation. It pretty much sums everything up. Also, another reason why IW is near death is cause of the fact that it's so much like B3 and it really isn't a big step forward. It's just a tweaked up version. Also, there's no online and not everyone plays PS2 games anymore. Oh, and if I recall, marketing wasn't so great for the game as well.
Soriphen
Soriphen
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Battle Power : 574
Zodiac Signs : Leo Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:28 pm

THTB wrote:just people are foolishly turning to online play for actual competition.

Yeah, fuck you too Tay. Too bad BL is still alive thanks to it's online.

On topic:

IW needed bounces, ki canceling, and online.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Thalès76 Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:00 am

IW is a good game, the only thing that bothered me is that the fatigue that fills up too fast. But apart from that it's a nice fighting game. I only play with 2 characters tho lol, Vegeta and Teen Gohan, I think it's better in the gameplay departement than BL, but I prefer by far the combos in BL, especially with the ki cancel, the combos in IW are kinda boring imo.

Who cares if people don't play DBZ fighters much, if you like the game you could care less if it's popular or not. SF4 is apparently the best fighting game, I only play that game like twice a week with my bro it's not a game I would play competitively, BL and IW I would though.

And THTB, you don't anything about the BT series do you, BT2 was by far a better fighting game than BT3.
Thalès76
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Battle Power : 310
Zodiac Signs : Taurus Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollCapAmerica Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 am

Everyone has some pretty good points ranging from the failure of BL[Yes Younger it does suck compared to the real games] to the bad or even non-existent marketing.Here are some other things

1] Bad reviews full of made up faggot bullshit.Especially the IGN one by the guy that complained about not getting alot of hits from mashing the buttons probably like he did with Maxi in mash caliber.This help color opinions of the game very badly

2] Lack of good online combined with low expectations due to BLs bad online

3] The people that usually lead the community drifting away from the games.Not to mention early misconceptions like the game having a simplier combo system than other budokais
TrollCapAmerica
TrollCapAmerica
Saiyan Moderator
Saiyan Moderator

Battle Power : 372
Zodiac Signs : Libra Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by MysticFog Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:18 am

yea..sparking neo was way better then meteor :/
MysticFog
MysticFog
Saiyan Administrator
Saiyan Administrator

Battle Power : 299
Zodiac Signs : Gemini Tiger

http://www.gamefaqs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thalès76 Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:31 am

TrollCapAmerica wrote:Everyone has some pretty good points ranging from the failure of BL[Yes Younger it does suck compared to the real games] to the bad or even non-existent marketing.Here are some other things

1] Bad reviews full of made up faggot bullshit.Especially the IGN one by the guy that complained about not getting alot of hits from mashing the buttons probably like he did with Maxi in mash caliber.This help color opinions of the game very badly

2] Lack of good online combined with low expectations due to BLs bad online

3] The people that usually lead the community drifting away from the games.Not to mention early misconceptions like the game having a simplier combo system than other budokais

Well I believe it is simplified, you take Vegeta in IW, he has pretty simple combos. B3 he has much harder combos, like the FKKKFK, KKBK, IW Vegeta is just FKKKKK.
Thalès76
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlordtico Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:33 am

GT Vegeta is alot harder to play than B3 Vegeta
Overlordtico
Overlordtico
Saiyan Veteran
Saiyan Veteran

Battle Power : 170
Zodiac Signs : Scorpio Snake

https://www.youtube.com/user/underlordtico

Back to top Go down

Post by THTB Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Thales, that's just extra inputs in chains...it doesn't necessarily make it any harder or less difficult...especially considering a lot of the time you can hold the direction before hitting P or K.

And as far as I'm concerned, GT Vegeta and Future Trunks are pretty hard to use...moreso than B3 Vegeta.
THTB
THTB
Saiyan Creator
Saiyan Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Thalès76 Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:36 am

THTB wrote:Thales, that's just extra inputs in chains...it doesn't necessarily make it any harder or less difficult...especially considering a lot of the time you can hold the direction before hitting P or K.

And as far as I'm concerned, GT Vegeta and Future Trunks are pretty hard to use...moreso than B3 Vegeta.

Well in Vegeta's case it does make it harder, or at least for me. GT Vegeta's hard combo is his pk, does he have another one? And Trunks it's his sword cancel.
Thalès76
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by THTB Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:14 am

GT Vegeta's just hard to combo with in general since he has to rely on quick cancels in juggles...Trunks is similar but doesn't have as difficult combos.
THTB
THTB
Saiyan Creator
Saiyan Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by KingDiamond Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:53 am

I think one thing is the stages. I understand this is supposed to be the best of budokai so old stages are fine but only ones from B3 is kinda stupid. How about some B1 and 2 stages then. It would have been sweet if they included the snow level from B2. Basically every unique level from the budokai series should have been there unless the ones in B1 were too crappy then forget those.
KingDiamond
KingDiamond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Battle Power : 251
Zodiac Signs : Scorpio Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by miller483 Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:29 pm

I say dimps should rerelease IW/B3 for XBLA and PSN. Better yet, make a new one altogether for download. Just give it HD graphics (so people buy it),HD Remix caliber online play (kickass netcode, lobbies, tournament mode, etc.) and it'll be good to go.

Just too bad the chances of that happening are slim to none.
miller483
miller483
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

Battle Power : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by KingDiamond Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:52 am

That would be cool. Just like they did with Super Turbo.
KingDiamond
KingDiamond
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Battle Power : 251
Zodiac Signs : Scorpio Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Thalès76 Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:04 am

yeah I would like it, IW is pretty solid.
Thalès76
Thalès76
Saiyan Elite
Saiyan Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by BeeNebulon Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Overlordtico wrote:GT Vegeta is alot harder to play than B3 Vegeta

I loved GT Vegeta i found his quick combos really effective!
BeeNebulon
BeeNebulon
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

Battle Power : 11
Zodiac Signs : Virgo Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by BeeNebulon Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Online for BL was lame!!! so many kids would just drop a fight because I would combo their ass instead of spamming my ultimate.

Totally re release IW for a better platform and give it online. same for T3 needs to be online but not for Wii, PS3 maybe.
BeeNebulon
BeeNebulon
Saiyan Noob
Saiyan Noob

Battle Power : 11
Zodiac Signs : Virgo Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum